WIRELESS NETWORKS AND RADIO FREQUENCIES
- IEEE 802.11 is a set of standards for wireless local area network (WLAN) computer communication in the 2.4, 3.6 and 5 GHz radio frequency (RF) bands.
- They are created and maintained by the IEEE LAN/MAN Standards Committee (IEEE 802).
- The wiTECH Access Gateway operates within the 2.4 GHz frequency on channels 1 through 11 using the 802.11g standard.
- This frequency range is shared amongst many types of wireless devices, including access points, cordless phones, and certain diagnostic tools.
- These devices can conflict and cause the wiTECH communication system to experience problems.
- It is imperative that if other wireless devices are in use in the dealership and you are experiencing problems, please contact the wiTECH Premium Support Help Desk at 1-888-wiTECH-1 for consultation.
NEW NETWORK PRECAUTIONS
OTHER DEVICES THAT CONFLICT WITH THE 802.11g/2.4GHz FREQUENCY
- If you have or are installing an additional wireless network in the dealership, please contact the wiTECH Premium Support Help Desk at 1-888-wiTECH-1 for consultation.
- You will want to confirm that the new wireless network is not broadcasting on the same wireless channel as the wiTECH Access Gateway, as this could cause network connectivity issues or delays in servicing vehicles.
- The wiTECH Access Gateway secure wireless network operates on 802.11g / 2.4 GHz frequency.
- The wiTECH VCI Pod and the StarMOBILE diagnostic tools are both 802.11g wireless devices.
- Non-overlapping channels in this spectrum are 1, 6, and 11.
- Channel 6 is a common default channel and the most common channel used by the average wireless network
- Most cordless phones operate on channel 1 of the 802.11g/ 2.4GHz frequency.
- Wireless environments are susceptible to excessive electromagnetic interference (EMI).
- EMI is generated by large motors, arc welders, fluorescent lights, motion detectors, microwave ovens, and even diesel engines.
- If you are experiencing wireless connectivity problems and suspect interference with other devices, contact the wiTECH Premium Support Help Desk at 1-888-wiTECH-1 for support.
- Certain tools and techniques can be used to determine if other devices are interfering with the communication of the wiTECH System.