- Reliable Internet connection speed and consistency are essential for the wiTECH System to complete flashes.
- It is recommended that the download speed of your Internet connection be a minimum of 1.5Mb/sec (Megabits per second) for the 1st wiTECH Client.
- Each additional wiTECH Client should have .5Mb/sec. of additional available bandwidth. Of course, the better the connection is, the faster the flash files will download before the flashing will commence.
ABOUT CONNECTION SPEED
- Most Internet Service Providers (ISPs) advertise their Internet connection speeds in Mb/s or Mbps (Megabits per second).
- However, when testing your Internet connection, sometimes the results are displayed as MB/s (note the capital B) which means Megabytes per second.
- There is a big difference between the lowercase b and the uppercase B. If the results are displayed as MB/s then the number has to be multiplied by 8 in order to obtain the speed results in Mbps:
For example, if the speed test resulted in a speed of 1.5MB/s (note the capital B), then we would calculate Megabits as follows:
1.5 x 8 = 12
By this calculation, the Internet connection speed is 12Mbps (12 Megabits per second).
TESTING YOUR CONNECTION SPEED
- Three popular speed test websites are speedof.me speakeasy.net/speedtest and speedtest.net.
- These websites already display the results in Mbps (Megabits per second).
- As resources on the network are used, bandwidth availability can be reduced. Therefore, we recommend performing a network speed test from multiple machines simultaneously to capture true network speed.
- speedof.me is an HTML5 Internet speed test. No Flash or Java needed! It is the smartest and most accurate online bandwidth test. It works well on iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows and other mobile devices, as well as desktop computers. Select Start Test, it will run a series of tests and your results will be displayed.
- speakeasy.net/ lets the user chose the target location of the test.
- We recommend that you choose the target server that is closest to your dealership.
- After choosing a location the speed test will automatically begin and results will be displayed once completed.
- speedtest.net automatically chooses the test location for you; all you will need to do is click on the Begin Test button in the middle of the site.
- The results will be displayed once the test is completed.
Note: Streaming music or videos will negatively impact your dealership Internet connection speed.